Book Review: Goddess Interrupted

Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test #2)
Published By: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: March 27, 2012
Page Count: 304
Buy it at Amazon or IndieBound
Source: Graciously Provided by Publisher via NetGalley
Audience: Young Adult - Paranormal Romance

Aimee Carter has outdone herself with this one. I was so impressed with how much more solid her writing was this time and how she totally stepped up the suspense. I did enjoy The Goddess Test - don't get me wrong - but I have to say that I enjoyed Goddess Interrupted more. The pacing and sense of urgency kept my heart racing until the very end. Carter has taken the traditional Greek myths and added her own spin to them that makes them delicious and addictive. I am already craving book three.

Goddess Interrupted picks up the summer after The Goddess Test. Kate has spent her summer traveling through Greece with James, but she's looking forward to heading into the Underworld to spend some time with her husband, Henry. For those who haven't read this series, its closely related to the Persephone and Hades myth. Persephone, is in fact, Kate's older sister. However, when Kate arrives she finds that Henry is distant and the Underworld is in chaos. Calliope is bent on revenge and Kate is most certainly the target. To make matters worse, Calliope has allied herself with Cronus, the trapped Titan. Titans are the only beings that can kill an immortal. A battle is brewing and humanity hangs in the balance.

I enjoyed the plot of this one. I couldn't put the book down for long. The anxiety over what was going to happen to Kate and Henry kept me wanting to read. I loved losing myself in this world and this story. After a really stressful week, it was the perfect medicine. Carter has created characters that I love in spite of their flaws. Furthermore, I really liked that Kate's apprehension concerning Persephone come to the forefront in this one. Kate has always seen herself as a consolation prize living in the shadow of her long dead sister who still owns a portion of Henry's heart. It is apparent that Kate and Henry can never truly move forward in their relationship until the past is resolved. The conflict between Kate, Henry, and Persephone made for some pretty intense moments. I also don't feel like this book is a bashing of Persephone at all. Each one of these characters makes mistakes concerning relationships and seeks to work through those issues.

In addition, I also liked the change of setting for this one. In book one, the reader becomes familiar with life on the surface at Eden Manor. However, in this book, everything happens in the Underworld. I found it fascinating to learn how Henry's Underworld works in comparison to the traditional version from the original mythology. The segments of the book in which Kate is outside of the palace and interacting with her environment were some of my favorite.

One issue I had with this book was Kate's attitude about herself. I understand that she feels she can never live up to Persephone for Henry or her mother, but I hated when she would put her self down. She constantly did this through the first half of the book. I always find myself getting frustrated with main characters who can't see their own true worth. I could understand her second guessing Henry's intentions and emotions, but she should be able to have some faith in herself. She seemed to be very whiny and self absorbed during this one. While I understood where she was coming from, I wish that there had been a little less of this happening. I was pleased to see Kate start to change in this respect by the end of the book; she started to show some of the old spark that made her so appealing in The Goddess Test.

Overall, I loved this one. I do have to say that Carter is just cruel - the cliffhanger in this one will have your mouth hanging open and tears threatening to spill over. I wasn't sure how to feel or respond. If the ending doesn't leaving you wanting book three immediately then there is something wrong.


One Last Gripe: It was very confusing to remember which God and Goddess went with each modern name. I had to keep my copy of The Goddess Test nearby to use as a reference.

My Favorite Thing About This Book: The plot

First Sentence: Calliope trudged through the sunny field as she ignored the babble of the redhead trailing behind her.

Favorite Character: Henry

Least Favorite Character: Calliope



Kate Winters has won immortality. 

But if she wants a life in the Underworld with Henry, she’ll have to fight for it. 

Becoming immortal wasn’t supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she’s as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he’s becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate’s coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans. 

As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future. 

Henry’s first wife, Persephone.


Comments

  1. I'm looking forward to reading this one. Hopefully soon! :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It comes out a month from today. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete
  2. Hi Andrea! I really enjoyed The Goddess Test. Good to see the second book doesn't disapoint. Looking forward to reading it. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I enjoyed The Goddess Test as well, but there was something about this one that I preferred over the first book. I think it was the fast paced plot and the twists I never saw coming.

      Delete
  3. Hiya Andrea!

    You and I felt the exact same way! I haven't posted my review yet, I'm waiting until about 2 weeks before pub date but honestly, we are so in sync with our feelings on the series!

    Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristi! I am so excited to see that you're also a fan of the book and that we had similar reactions to it. Wasn't that ending brutal?!?!

      Delete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!