Novella Review: Destroy Me

Destroy Me (Shatter Me #1.5)
Published By: Harper
Publication Date: October 2, 2012
Page Count: 111
Buy it at Amazon or Barnes & Noble
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Audience: Young Adult - Science Fiction

Destroy Me is a novella that covers a period of time in Warner’s life that slightly overlaps with the events of Shatter Me but I think also extends beyond. In Shatter Me, we experienced Juliette’s side of things, how she perceived Warner and her captivity, and she had me well convinced that Warner was a bad guy. But Warner himself can be convincing. By the time I was through reading from his side of the story in Destroy Me, I was pretty convinced that he has had a hard life and lived it the best he could. I was also surprised to feel like he genuinely did feel love for Juliette, which I had pretty much just dismissed in Shatter Me... I thought that he thought he loved her, but he actually didn’t. Now I’m pretty convinced he does actually feel for her.  I have come to loathe his father though, and I think there is the makings of a genuinely evil villain for the series in him.


I was happy to read Destroy Me at this time – it’s been a while since I read Shatter Me, and I had to fight to remember all the plot details, but now I feel all caught up – just in time for Unravel Me, which releases in February. I also feel that I’m now a little unsure about whose side I’m on, and that might be a good thing... I’m rooting for both Warner and Juliette... but I’m certainly against the Republic. I feel like what this series needs is a healthy dose of rebellion, and I’m sure I’m going to get it in Unravel Me, so I’m pretty excited!! I don’t think it is necessary for fans of Shatter Me to read Destroy Me, but if you enjoyed Shatter Me, you will enjoy this and I think it definitely adds to the series, so why not! 



Perfect for the fans of Shatter Me who are desperately awaiting the release of Unravel Me, this novella-length digital original will bridge the gap between these two novels from the perspective of the villain we all love to hate, Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.


In Tahereh Mafi’s Shatter Me, Juliette escaped from The Reestablishment by seducing Warner—and then putting a bullet in his shoulder. But as she’ll learn in Destroy Me, Warner is not that easy to get rid of. . .



Back at the base and recovering from his near-fatal wound, Warner must do everything in his power to keep his soldiers in check and suppress any mention of a rebellion in the sector. Still as obsessed with Juliette as ever, his first priority is to find her, bring her back, and dispose of Adam and Kenji, the two traitors who helped her escape. But when Warner’s father, The Supreme Commander of The Reestablishment, arrives to correct his son’s mistakes, it’s clear that he has much different plans for Juliette. Plans Warner simply cannot allow.



Set after Shatter Me and before its forthcoming sequel, Unravel Me,Destroy Me is a novella told from the perspective of Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.




Comments