Throwback Thursday: North & South


Throwback Thursday is a new feature at Reading Lark. We'll still be doing some Book Boyfriend Posts and Book BFF Posts on Thursdays as well, but the Larks wanted a little variety on Thursdays. Throwback Thursday will allow us to celebrate some of the reads we loved way back when...

North and South
By: John Jakes
Release Date: 1982


When I was a teen there wasn't a plethora of YA novels to choose from so I always gravitated toward adult reads. I was born the same year this novel was originally released so I didn't read it until much later; I was probably fifteen the first time I read the novel, but I have loved these characters since the mini series aired in the 80's. In fact, I vividly recall being heartbroken in elementary school when I tried to do my biography project on Orry Maine only to have my teacher tell me he wasn't a real person.

In spite of my young age, I was mesmerized by Hazard and Maine families. This series spawned a love of history that has persisted throughout my lifetime.

One of the things I loved most about this novel was the friendship between Orry and George. I also enjoyed the historical details, interactions with historical figures, and the romance.

This is truly a series that has stayed with me for the majority of my life. Even know I reread the novels on my Kindle and watch the mini series several times a year. I just can't seem to let these characters and events go.


Part history, part novel, this book chronicles two great American dynasties over three generations. Though brought together in a friendship that neither jealousy nor violence could shatter, the Hazards and the Mains are torn apart by the storm of events that has divided the nation.

Comments