Book Review: The Tales of Beedle the Bard

The Tales of Beedle the Bard
Published By: Bloomsbury
Publication Date: November 2012
Page Count: 109
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Audience: Middle Grades/Young Adult - Fantasy

I have had a surge of Harry Potter nostalgia recently. To sate my Potter craving until the illustrated edition of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets makes it ways into my hands in October, I have been reading supplemental cannon pieces. I have owned this since it originally came out several years ago, but somehow I didn't manage to read it until recently. I was fascinated by the wizarding "fairy tales" and hope that these will become bedtime favorites as my son grows.

The collection contains five stories, the most famous being "The Tale of the Three Brothers". Each of the stories contains a lesson for the wizarding community. Like Aesop's fables, these stories provide commentary on making wise choices. I was also particularly fond of Dumbledore's commentary on each of the tales. It was fun to read new stories, but I still have a particular fondness for "The Tale of the Three Brothers". I loved Hermione's telling of this in the Deathly Hallows film and the amazing animation that accompanied her. 

This is a fun little read that expands the world of Harry Potter a bit. It's somewhat bittersweet when a favorite series ends, but having items like this to read allows me to experience a new side of the HP universe. 

As the internet has recently been a flutter over the patronus test over at Pottermore and the Fantastic Beast movie looms, I even more excited to immerse myself in the HP series all over again. Spending time in any part of Rowling's creation is like visiting with old friends. It also helps lessen the sting that I wasn't exactly thrilled with my own Patronus, the Borzoi, but I am warming up to it.



The Tales of Beedle the Bard contains five richly diverse fairy tales, each with its own magical character, that will variously bring delight, laughter and the thrill of mortal peril.

Essential and enjoyable reading for Muggles and wizards alike, The Tales of Beedle the Bard is a uniquely magical volume. With illuminating notes by Albus Dumbledore.

Proceeds from the sale of this book will be donated to Lumos, a charity working to transform the lives of disadvantaged children. 

Comments